Friday, February 29, 2008

My Aim is True

For those of you who don't know already, I am quite the avid Elvis Costello fan. I just felt like doing a portrait to capture him as he slips quietly into rock 'n roll dinosaurism. He still keeps his signature look, slick suits with horn rimmed glasses, (will that ever go out of style?). The suits have gotten baggier to hide the paunch and he's got the scruffy beard to compensate for the double chin, but overall I think he still maintains a certain amount of dignity. I rarely see him scowl or alienate his audience the way he did in the early part of his career, responding to cheers to play Allison with "you wanna hear the old songs, buy the fu@#ing record!" Instead he plays the hits with a smile of smug satisfaction on his face, content with the fact that he gets to be part of the slowly aging rock 'n roll elite even though his new music is for the most part irrelevant. If you disagree, I consider almost all music being recorded these days irrelevant (for proof listen to Radiohead's latest album). This isn't a popular music blogg, this is a blogg about drawing stuff so I'll cease my rant. and finish up with a quote from on of my favorite Elvis Costello songs.
Well I finally found someone to turn me upside down
And nail my feet up where my head should be
If they had a King of Fools then I could wear that crown
And you can all die laughing because I’ll wear it proudly
-Wear it Proudly
from the album King of America

1 comment:

Albert Sorrentino Jr. said...

impressive website and blog! really enjoy looking at your work! good luck to you and your work.